Read a mail from a priest friend of mine who sends me some beautiful messages. This one was oddly titled. So I looked up with great curiosity. It contained a questionaire developed by Bishop José Ignacio Munilla, the Bishop of Palencia, Spain. Tried out and was surprised that atleast one or 2 questions did set me thinking.
How about you guys trying it out. Pls feel free to share this with your friends coz I feel it is very important for each catholic to really understand the vocation of a priest and pray for them especally in the ‘Year of Priests’
I would also love if after reading it you would share with me your views or some of your thoughts with me on my blog. God Bless you
The questionaire for your reading and thinking pleasure.
- HAVE YOU PRAYED RECENTLY FOR YOUR PARISH PRIEST, YOUR BISHOP OR THE POPE?
- I don’t even know their names.
- At Mass there is usually prayer for them, and I add myself in that petition.
- I do so every day in my personal prayer.
- HAVE YOU DISCLOSED YOUR CONSCIENCE TO A PRIEST, TRUSTING THAT HE CAN HELP YOU IN YOUR PROBLEMS?
- Each one has to solve his problems.
- “Four eyes see more than two.” It is always good to listen to and accept the advice of someone who can help us.
- The greatest help I have received from a priest has been when his advice was joined to God’s forgiveness in the sacrament of confession.
- WHEN I HEAR AMONG MY FRIENDS COMMENTS CRITICIZING PRIESTS …
- I followed their lead, so as not to stand out.
- I tuned out, and pretended to think of something else.
- I said what I thought, giving witness to my faith.
- I SEE IN A PRIEST …
- A “relic” of the past.
- A “professional” of religion.
- A minister of God; “another Christ” among us.
- HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU INVITED THE PARISH PRIEST TO YOUR HOME?
- The priest is only called when someone has died.
- When grandmother is with us, he usually brings Communion.
- Several times. I was delighted when he told us the story of his vocation at the dinner table.
- WHEN YOU HEAR A PRIEST GIVE A HOMILY …
- I listen, if he has good oratorical skills.
- I listen, I am interested in the topic he is addressing.
- I see him as an instrument through which God is speaking to me.
- WHEN A COLLECTION IS TAKEN UP FOR SEMINARIES …
- I think, “Priests” are always begging.
- I say to myself, there are collections for so many things! One more!
- I collaborate gladly, because I believe no vocation should be frustrated because of lack of financial means.
- WHEN I SEE AN ELDERLY PRIEST IN THE CHURCH OR ON THE STREET …
- I think the Church is on the decline.
- I hope he says the Mass quickly.
- I thank God for his fidelity and for all the good he might have done.
- WHEN I SEE A YOUNG PRIEST AT THE ALTAR …
- I mistrust his lack of experience. What is he going to say to me?
- I observe what he does and “classify” him.
- I thank God for his vocation and pray intensely for him.
- HOW WOULD YOU REACT IF YOUR SON SAID HE WANTS TO BE A PRIEST?
- I would ask him if he’s gone mad, and I would remind him that we must take into consideration what others might think.
- I would ask him to give it considerable thought and to have a university degree first.
- It would give me one of the greatest joys of my life, and I would support him fully.
- HAVE YOU ASKED A CHILD, ADOLESCENT OR YOUNG MAN ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING A PRIEST SOME DAY?
- I don’t get into jams. Let everyone live his life.
- I am of the opinion that all vocations must be appreciated, even if they are different from our own.
- Yes, I have thought of someone specifically, and I pray for him … One of these days, “I will let him know.”
- WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE EXPRESSION OF THE SAINTLY CURÉ D’ARS: “THE PRIEST IS THE LOVE OF JESUS’ HEART”?
- I think it is a disembodied spiritualism.
- I think that can only be said of a saintly priest.
- I believe it is exactly so, though “they have this treasure in earthen vessels” (2 Corinthians 4:7).
Now for the evaluation
If the number “1” appears in the majority of your answers, I am surprised that this test reached your hands. But, I thank God that this happened so that I can tell you as the priest that I am, that God loves you the point of folly and that he expects from you an answer of love.
If you have responded to the majority of questions with the number “2,” I would like to tell you that you are not enjoying the treasures that God is offering you through the priesthood.
But if the number “3” is yours, then I ask you not to cease to pray to God for the sanctification of priests and for the increase of priestly vocations, because I am very sure that God is going to listen to you.